Sunday, January 16, 2011

Where's the pride?

I was reading a topic on WrongPlanet. It claimed that autism is a disability because autistics are completely incapable of finding love.

First of all, I'd like to point out that, from my way of thinking, autism, by itself, is not a disability.

More importantly, though, I feel that this post shows how autistics think of their autism. I've said before that I believe one source of pride in my autism is that I wasn't told for 20 years that everything I am is wrong. That applies to interpersonal interactions as well, though.

Friends, coworkers, family, and significant others (or lack thereof) can all affect how a person thinks of being autistic. In my experience, autistics get along very well with other autistics. If there are other autistics, or neurotypicals that don't dismiss autistics, around an autistic, then they won't consider themselves wrong. Naturally, a negative reaction to autistics will exacerbate the lack of a positive reaction.

For me, I had enough confidence in myself that the lack of many friends or significant others going through school was not an issue for me.

But you must let go of the past and peoples' ignorance. If you never had the chance before to interact with other autistics or autistic-accepting neurotypicals, then now is the chance to change that. There are autistics around you, and you will know them when you see them. Autistics are rare, but when you find one that you can connect with, it will be worth it.

Remember, though we are in the minority, we are not alone, and being part of a minority does not make us wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online