Friday, January 7, 2011

The Golden Rule

I've said before - many times - that I would never want to be neurotypical. There are obviously many autistics that don't want to be neurotypical, either. Of course, there are plenty of neurotypicals that would never want to be autistic, even knowing all I know. I've said before that I believe that one of the reasons I wouldn't want to be neurotypical, or even be able to emulate a neurotypical, is because of how I was raised.

But there's another reason. I am not you, whoever you are. You look at me and think, "If I was like that, I would want someone to come and make me more like how I am now." The problem with this is that you are not like that. That reasoning only works for you. Do not do unto me as you would have others do unto you. The reasoning behind "The Golden Rule" is flawed. For more on this, consider Bob the Masochist.

Every person you meet has different wants and different needs. I am not you; my needs do not match yours. You may love who you are and wish to be no one else. I mean no offense, but I don't wish to be you. I wish to be me. I have no want to be anything else. Do not try to "cure" me. There is nothing to be cured.

Always beware of what you believe others want. It may be what you want.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online