Friday, December 17, 2010

Why I am Taoist

So I suppose if I'm going to have topics exclusively about Taoism, I might as well address this one, which has been asked of me a couple of times by people I know that read this blog.

I have met people who can give a dozen reasons why they follow whatever religion they follow. Some relate some past experience, others point to evidence from history or current events. Others say that a particular aspect of that belief appealed to them.

The most extraordinary reasons I've heard tend to come from atheists. It is unfortunate that a belief that is so wonderful (atheism is a wonderful belief, if you read some of the literature dedicated to it) should have people among them that claim that belief solely out of rebellion and stubborness.

So why am I a Taoist? Well, I had an interesting experience that made me become intersted in Taoism, that is for sure. And once I began studying it, I found the beliefs of Taoism appealing to me, certainly. And I cannot deny that certain current events and historical events cause me to see Taoism within them. None of those, however, is why I am a Taoist. In fact, I don't think it's appropriate to call me a Taoist.

I am Taoist.

Taoism is who I am. I could be nothing else. It is as much a part of me as the fact that I am autistic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online