Saturday, December 11, 2010

What is Taoism?

It is inevitable that any blog that talks about Taoism must deal with this question at some point.

Is Taoism a religion? Is it a philosophy? Is it something else?

Here is my problem with the arguments against Taoism as a religion. My problem comes when people misunderstand what a religion is and what the Tao is. Most of the arguments I've heard about Taoism not being a religion stem from people clearly raised in a Christian culture. They site the lack of a deity (although this brings me back to the issue with a misunderstanding of the Tao), the lack of a creation story, and things of that nature.

First of all, I will point out that religions are not solely monotheistic or polytheistic. There are a multitude of different theisms that can be present in a religion, and there are certainly religions that can exist with the lack of a god. The Tao is an example of a pantheistic god (though some sects have included incarnations of the Tao and various other god figures), which does not have a true personality or will. It simply... is.

Second comes the issue of a misinterpretation of religion. As I've said before, religions can exist in the absence of a god. As one of my professors explained, a religion is most accurately defined (putting aside cultural bias) as a set of beliefs about how we can best live and the purpose of existence. Taoism has both of these things.

An interesting point is that many schools of Atheistic thought have them as well. If you are an Atheist and have a problem with Atheism being defined as a religion, perhaps you should consider what your motives are for being an Atheist.

So, then, is Taoism a religion and not a philosophy? Well, here is my issue with that: What is a philosophy? A religion, by definition, must ALSO be a philosophy. One of the interesting aspects of Taoism is that you can be, for example, a Christian and still apply Taoist principles to your life (in fact, anyone who has studied Tai Chi Chuan has been introduced to many Taoist principles). But so, too, can a Taoist apply Christian principles to their life.

Moreover, many sects of various religions can be considered to be a combination of a religion and a philosophy that contemplates how that particular religion should define itself. For example, I was raised a Methodist, which is Christianity with a Wesleyan philosophy of Christianity.

The main advantage Taoism (though this also applies to Confucianism and Buddhism) has, as a philosophy, is that its greatest thinkers have not claimed a direct line to the Tao. Rather, they present arguments for why a certain action or view in a particular situation is beneficial. The laws do not come from a god figure, but rather from turning the issue over and considering the best path.

So what is Taoism? Is it religion? Is it philosophy?

Taoism is highly individualized. The way you go about applying Taoist principles to your life will, without a doubt, be different from the way I apply Taoist principles to my life. I am a religious non-denominational Taoist, but that doesn't mean that I think you must have Taoism as your religion in order to be Taoist.

Edit: Allow me to restate the point I had here. Taoism is not limited by restrictions or limitations of people and definitions because the Tao is not restricted or limited by people and definitions. Instead of arguing about whether Taoism is a religion or a philosophy or whatever, perhaps it would be best to simply apply the wisdom of it to your life (or not, as your choice may be).

15 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Hi there everyone, it's my first go to see at this web site, and post is truly fruitful in favor of me, keep up posting such articles.

    Also visit my website ... weight loss
    my web site - weight loss
    Anonymous said...
    Excellent blog here! Additionally your website quite a bit up very fast!
    What web host are you using? Can I am getting your associate hyperlink on your
    host? I desire my web site loaded up as fast as yours lol

    my weblog: weight loss
    Anonymous said...
    Hello Theгe. I founԁ your blog usіng msn.
    This is а really wеll written articlе.
    I wіll makе sure to bookmark it аnd come back to reаd mоre of
    your uѕeful informаtion. Thаnκs fоr the post.
    І'll definitely comeback. garcinia cambogia - garcinia cambogia - garcinia cambogia extract with potassium and hca garcinia cambogia extract dr oz reviews - garcinia cambogia - garcinia cambogia
    Anonymous said...
    This аrticle is genuіnelу
    a plеаsant onе it aѕѕіsts new internet userѕ,
    who are wishing in favοr of blogging.


    Mу ωeb рage: term life insurance quotes
    Anonymous said...
    Whаt's up friends, its wonderful post on the topic of tutoringand fully explained, keep it up all the time.

    my web page: Pure raspberry ketone powder
    Anonymous said...
    you're in reality a just right webmaster. The site loading speed is incredible. It kind of feels that you're doing
    any distinctive trick. Also, The contents are masterwork. you
    have done a excellent task in this subject!

    Here is my blog post; visit this link
    Anonymous said...
    I have been eхploring foг a littlе bit foг any
    high-quality artiсles oг weblоg postѕ in this kinԁ οf sρace
    . Exρlοгing in Υahoo Ι eνentuаlly stumbled uрon this
    site. Studуing thіs informatiоn So
    i аm glаd to ѕhοw that I've a very excellent uncanny feeling I came upon exactly what I needed. I so much undoubtedly will make sure to do not omit this web site and provides it a look regularly.

    my webpage: california health insurance plans []
    Anonymous said...
    I think the admin of this website iѕ genuinеly
    working hard fοr his web page, since here every ԁata is quality based mаterial.



    Also ѵisit my blog pоst; hсg droрs ()
    Anonymous said...
    Hello there, just bесame aωarе of your blog through Goοgle, and found thаt it is really infoгmаtive.
    I'm gonna watch out for brussels. I'll bе grаteful
    if yοu continue this in futurе. Lοts of peoplе will be bеnefiteԁ from
    your ωritіng. Сheers!

    Also viѕit my pаge sportsbet
    Anonymous said...
    Тhe best scenario; hit the cardio in the morning - on an emptү
    stomach - get in a few meals and rеturn to the gym later іn the dɑy to build muscle density.
    Yet, tɦey continue to eat equally large amounts ߋf food like when they'rе trɑining.
    Excеllent solutions like making a choice on low calorie
    nutrition and plаnning this meals well remain more realiѕtic.



    Feel free to surf to my webloǥ turbulence training
    Anonymous said...
    Heya i'm for the primary time here. I found this board and I in finding It really useful & it helped me out a
    lot. I am hoping to give one thing back and help others like you aided me.



    Have a look at my blog: testosterone pills
    Anonymous said...
    My spouse and I stumbled over here by a different website and thought I might as well check things out.

    I like what I see so now i am following you. Look forward to checking out
    your web page repeatedly.

    Here is my site; famous gold investment quotes
    Anonymous said...
    I do trust all of the ideas you've introduced to your
    post. They are very convincing and will certainly work.
    Still, the posts are too quick for starters. May just you please extend them a bit from next time?
    Thanks for the post.

    Here is my web site ... Elijah Barahona
    Anonymous said...
    Helpful information. Lucky me I found your site by chance, and I'm stunned why this twist of fate didn't came about earlier!
    I bookmarked it.

    My web-site: fast weight loss diet
    Anonymous said...
    The software can be downloaded for free from this site at any
    time. The popularity of watching streaming movies online has increased manifold in recent years.
    This specific picture, as it is inspired simply by real
    situations, hands that you simply overall look rather than theoretically of how hard work, motivation not to mention commitments might possibly go
    a good 110-year problem that will greater than a good thing.


    my web blog ... watch movies online free streaming

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online