Friday, September 10, 2010

I had an interesting conversation a few weeks ago. I have trouble killing insects, even by accident. This is not an issue for most people, but it is a major one for me. One person in that discussion suggested I get help, which confuses me. Why is compassion for other beings a bad thing? Shouldn't not having compassion be considered unhealthy? His response to this was that the majority of people don't have a problem with it. Majority is healthy, minority is unhealthy.

Now, if you don't have a problem with killing insects, that's fine. I don't think that you need to have compassion for insects to be a good person, but having compassion for them shouldn't be considered unhealthy.

One of the interesting aspects of being autistic is how logically my mind works, so I naturally have trouble when people use logical fallacies, such as his: Argumentum ad populum, or appealing to the majority.

What is all this doing in a blog about Taoism and autism? Well, because autistics are weird (very different from the majority), and thus are unhealthy. Instead of accepting the difference and displaying some humility of belief, many neurotypicals (and undiagnosed autistics) assume that autistics are unhealthy mentally. Naturally, a lot of this comes from misunderstanding autism as a whole, but much of it also comes from that logical fallacy.

On the Taoist side of things: Many of my individual beliefs are very bizarre to people. Some of those are from the Taoist beliefs. In a given situation, I am more likely to act differently than the average person. I am more likely to do what they would consider wrong. Because these are commonly held beliefs (and are featured often in popular media to be the correct belief), I can be labelled as a bad person. I have always strived to do what I believe is right, though. Just because most people think it's wrong, that doesn't make it wrong.

I can see myself making more posts about logical fallacies in the future. Many relate to autism, autism activism, and Taoism.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online