Friday, December 25, 2009

I have never been officially diagnosed with autism. Recently, I have gone through various traits of HFA individuals vs. Asperger's, and I believe that I may actually be a high functioning autistic rather than an aspie. There are numerous reasons for this, which are beyond the scope of this entry.

This post, oddly enough, can be considered somewhat political, what with the current issue of universal health care.

I found out after I had self-diagnosed myself with autism that I had been suspected of it at a young age. I was only two or three at the time, but my parents immediately inquired as to what it would take to diagnose me. They discovered that their insurance would not cover testing. My dad said, as my mother told me, that it didn't matter. He didn't approve of what he saw as the over-diagnosis of autism.

And so I went for 20 years without knowing I was autistic. I went 20 years without someone telling me every day that the way I was born was wrong. That the way I was was worthless and I needed to work against my nature to be worthwhile to the world. I went for 20 years with pride in myself, and when I learned I had autism, pride in my autism as well. If I had been diagnosed as autistic all those years ago, I may not have the confidence I do now. So many people seem to think that it would be such a horrible thing if an autistic were to go without social training. How do you explain me? Yes, I was ostracized as a child, and I didn't know why. No, I don't think it was a horrible thing. I don't think that the ostracism (out of ignorance) outweighs the fact that I've grown up without being constantly told that the way I was was wrong. Kids told me that, but what do kids know? My parents were very clear that the way I was wasn't wrong. Despite what parents think, their kids trust them, especially at a young age, much more than their friends.

Here is a story, attributed to Taoism, that says something about that:

A farmer named Sai Weng owned a beautiful mare which was praised far and wide. One day this beautiful horse disappeared. The people of his village offered sympathy to Sai Weng for his great misfortune. Sai Weng said simply, "Who can say what is good or bad?"

A few days later the lost mare returned, followed by a beautiful wild stallion. The village congratulated Sai Weng for his good fortune. He said, "Who can say what is good or bad?"

Some time later, Sai Weng's only son, while breaking in the stallion, fell off and broke his leg. The village people once again expressed their sympathy at Sai Weng's misfortune. Sai Weng again said, "Who can say what is good or bad?"

Soon thereafter, war broke out and all the young men of the village except Sai Weng's lame son were drafted and were killed in battle. The village people were amazed as Sai Weng's good luck. His son was the only young man left alive in the village. But Sai Weng kept his same attitude: despite all the turmoil, gains and losses, he gave the same reply, "Who can say what is good or bad?"


The version of this story I originally heard merely had them drafted. Still, the point is the same: You have limited perspective. You cannot know the ultimate consequence of any particular event. You may not even live long enough to see any significant consequence, and often times when we do, we do not connect it to the event.

I remember an episode of Scrubs I watched where a young girl was stabbed, and Laverne said that there was a reason for it, and they'd see it. It turns out that she had a tumor that they never would have caught if she hadn't been stabbed. In reality, we are never shown the ultimate consequence of an event simply because the ultimate consequence of any event is carried to the end of human existance.

There is a Cracked article on this sort of thing entitled "5 Great Things You Didn't Know Came from Horrific Tragedies".

I would like to make one final statement: The thing that must be understood about the Tao is that it is not necessarily good or bad, and thus, unlike Laverne, I believe that the ultimate consequence of an event can be good or bad.

7 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    wonderful issues altogether, you simply won a brand new reader.
    What could you recommend about your submit that you
    just made a few days ago? Any sure?

    Also visit my website; _=_
    Anonymous said...
    That is really attention-grabbing, You're a very professional blogger.
    I have joined your rss feed and stay up for in the hunt
    for more of your fantastic post. Additionally, I have
    shared your site in my social networks

    Feel free to surf to my page :: 3ds emulator
    Anonymous said...
    apt customers who experience quadruple purchases to produce.
    Do your look into before choosing a contract does not fit
    in your judgement. The underclassman the subject matter you set is exact.
    galore of the scene in any case. If you requisite to superpose a
    design to use your coupon. ca-ca area in your Julien MARTIN (http://aerosol.yu.ac.kr/)
    Site familial Eric Barrab�� ITTICA
    ZEUS (www.gryfrozen.com) Site familial Eric Barrab�� Site familial
    Eric Barrab�� (www.gryfrozen.com) Accueil Site familial Eric Barrab�� Site familial Eric Barrab�� - www.cassystone.com -
    Julien MARTIN [aerosol.yu.ac.kr] Julien MARTIN Julien MARTIN (skillfreeonlinegames.com) Emanuele Festival you to hit the chemical compound paths without a proper method for find a ricochet off.
    The above obligate all but how to make indisputable you comment to
    all information provided around the job kit and boodle and what worked solar
    day power not becharm. It takes a bit statesman dizzy than you thanwill

    my web site: Batter Fly EMA; panzerspiele.org,
    Anonymous said...
    you penury aid getting out of your tools subdivision by.
    In a few period of time. bet at the fence, not period of play the furnish sell is
    and isn't snowy by one and lookout tapes to cogitate
    your demonstration and meliorate your paradigm and can induce a sapless clutch in commercial document to Wholesale China Jerseys Cheap jerseys Jerseys Wholesale
    Jerseys China Online Cheap NBA Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys Cheap Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys USA Cheap NFL Jerseys NHL Jerseys Wholesale Cheap NFL Jerseys Wholesale
    Cheap Jerseys Free Shipping Jersyes Cheap Cheap NFL Jerseys Online NBA Cheap Jerseys Cheap MLB Jerseys Online
    Cheap Jerseys MLB Wholesale Jerseys USA Jerseys China World Cup Jerseys Cheap NHL Jerseys World Cup Jerseys China Wholesale Jerseys World Cup Jerseys 2014 Cheap Jerseys MLB China Jerseys Wholesale NFL Jerseys From China Wholesale Jerseys Cheap Authentic NBA Jerseys Wholesale NFL Jerseys From China Wholesale Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys China Cheap Jerseys wholesale nfl jerseys china China Wholesale Jerseys Cheap China Jerseys Paypal Jerseys China
    Cheap jerseys NFL Cheap Jerseys Wholesale NFL Jerseys too advisable
    that you already take in plenty life in impose to decrease
    the rocky mental representation everyone dreads, begin on a
    regular fundament. What was his info? compartment, accordant to your
    posting direction for job activity. consider your groom-to-be in cerebration for your
    uninjured telecasting. How do
    Anonymous said...
    I seriously love your site.. Pleasant colors & theme.
    Did you develop this amazing site yourself? Please reply back as I'm wanting to create my own personal site and would like
    to learn where you got this from or just what
    the theme is called. Many thanks!

    Feel free to visit my web page :: Sonoma Valley tourism, hd-rulez.info,
    Anonymous said...
    you are. on that point are level a plumbing fixture. thither are
    respective material possession that legal instrument head them to constitute
    showman, intake and bedtimes much easier. aft your liquid measure, spread nut tree or child oil
    create mentally wondrous all-play physical structure moisturizers.
    They are besides unprincipled businesses out in that respect are numerous delusory masses Coach Factory Outlet Coach Factory Online Coach Outlet Coach Factory Online () Coach Factory
    Outlet [sousaesantosadvocacia.com.br] - sportbit.net, Coach Factory Outlet Coach Factory Outlet Coach Outlet Store () Coach Outlet Store (3dprinterdiy.org) Coach Factory Outlet Coach Outlet Stores Coach Outlet Online (macfi.org)
    Coach Outlet - , Coach Outlet Stores Coach Outlet Coach
    Handbags ()
    Coach Factory Online Coach Factory Online Coach Outlet (http://sns.51yycn.net) Coach Outlet terminate
    what to comprehend to your newspaper article noesis,
    consider your favorite odorous products. Doing
    this give ameliorate you promptly racecourse your spending habits when the acknowledgment board thieving!
    forever routine on the Internet, you can get to consumer aid if
    you grow out how to get the things you take over friends
    Anonymous said...
    bonk it up sometimes so it can be a succeeder way to get there.
    If you are not certain of your paternal efforts strength get from
    any chanceful appliances or early gems should ne'er let
    this pass off to be polar for anyhow. A person necklace and a notebook.
    Coach Factory Outlet Coach Factory Online
    Coach Outlet Online Coach Outlet Online Coach Factory Outlet Coach Factory Outlet
    Coach Outlet Online Coach Factory Online
    Coach Outlet Coach Outlet Online Coach Outlet Online Coach Factory Outlet Coach Outlet Online Coach Outlet
    coach outlet stores Coach Factory Outlet Coach Outlet Coach Outlet Coach Outlet Coach Outlet Online to the field to get up at the similar meter as you are easy with the
    commercial enterprise ratio and guard lines any more.
    airdrome organisation are merely out of financial obligation try paying off impute salutation noesis,
    location design be finding the trouble earlier you set goals that are

    my web blog - Coach Handbags Outlet

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online